Starting a new blog or business is exciting, but you are sure to have lots of questions. There are resources out there that can give you basic answers, but you really need guidance from someone who has walked down the road before you. You need someone that can help you set goals, develop and grow your business to meet your definition of success. I have had many Mentors along the way ranging from 30 minute conversations to regular classes and personalized coaching sessions. Each and every one had something they spoke into my business, that propelled me forward toward success, that I could not have found elsewhere. The real life connections with those ahead of you are priceless.
Here are five reasons why you need a business mentor.
1. A Mentor Will Help You Avoid MistakesA Mentor can offer advice and wisdom from his/her own mistakes and experiences that will help you progress faster. They will have answers, or know where to find the answers, for the questions that come up. They can also help you determine the vision and mission for your business.
2. A Mentor Will Help You Set Appropriate GoalsMany business owners put a great deal of time and effort into starting their businesses, but often not nearly enough time setting goals that are realistic and actionable and figuring out the exact steps to meet those goals. A good mentor can help you convert your vision and business goals into an action plan, as well as give you guidance on the proper structure of your business.
3. A Mentor is Key to Your Future SuccessSo often we have tunnel vision for something we are so invested in. Bringing in a mentor who can see things from a different point of view can often open our vision to new possibilities. A good mentor will help you change your way of thinking and encourage you to think bigger, stretch farther and accomplish more. They can help you think ahead in terms of where you want to be and see the bigger picture.
4. A Mentor Brings ConnectionsYour connections, influencers and employees can all have a huge impact on the success or failure of your business. Mentors can help connect you to completely new circles of potential business partners, employees and customers. They can help you determine what type of person would be the best fit for your company and help you build a winning partnership or team. Mentors can coach, advise and inspire you to be a better business manager, which in turn will affect the success of your business.
5. A Mentor Offers the Advantage of Real World ExperienceSo you have a business degree. You have the certification. You have studied blogging, been to conferences, bought all the courses, taken all the online classes, but you still have never owned or managed a blog or website for profit... I guarantee you, you will still find it challenging. Having a good Mentor on your side can help tremendously as they will share their experiences with you, encourage you when you are ready to quit, be the sounding board for your business decisions and help you develop and grow your business based on what has worked for them and others in the real world. Finding a Mentor for your business will give you stability, confidence, and ultimately help you meet your business goals.
Katie Hornor is the founder of Como Blog, a bilingual education site for bloggers and online business owners, and the new Como Blog Connection, where you will find resources, connections and mentoring to spur you on to reach your business dreams. Get info about The Connection and download the Free ebook 50 Powerful Tips for Successful Business Habits at Como Blog.